800.392.1551 |


Extension Cord Safety

A construction worker was using a drill to install masonry screws into a concrete floor.  It was powered by two extension cords with one of them missing a ground prong.  It was plugged into an electrical outlet.  There was a break in the insulation and exposed wiring.  The worker received an electrical shock as he was running his hand  along the cord as he was coiling it up to put it away.

It is important to remember these tips:

  • Inspect extension cords before starting work
  • Do not use any extension cord that is damaged
  • Use ground-fault circuit interrupters for protection
  • Keep extension cords away from foot and equipment traffic
  • Never staple or nail to hold extension cord in place
  • Avoid using multiple cords plugged together
  • Use one long extension cord instead