What should workers do when an emergency occurs?
- Listen carefully for instructions over the building’s internal communication system and follow the instructions.
- When instructed, leave the area quickly, but in an orderly manner, following the work site’s emergency evacuation plan.
- Do not use elevators when evacuating a burning building, unless they are properly designed and designated “occupant evacuation elevators.”
- Report to the designated meeting place, and ensure they make contact with the person charged with worker accountability.
- Do not re-enter the building until directed to do so by authorities.