What should workers do if trapped?
- Stay calm and take steps to protect yourself.
- Go to a room with an outside window.
- Use a telephone/cell phone to call for help if possible.
- Stay where rescuers can see you and wave a light-colored cloth to attract attention.
- Specifically, during fire events:
- Go directly to the nearest fire- and smoke-free stairwell.
- Crawl low, under the smoke, to breathe cleaner air. Test doors for heat before opening them. Do not open a hot door.
- Stuff wet clothing, towels, or newspapers around the cracks in doors to prevent smoke from entering your room.
- Do not open or break windows unless absolutely necessary.